Middle of the Class

The course is now about half way completed, and I have begun my major projects.

My group project is beginning, and we have decided on creating the website The Collaborative Classroom.
We will collect resources and strategies for managing online classrooms.  I am excited to use some of the platforms I have experience with as well as investigating new ones.  


My partner project is also beginning.  We will create a course outline for a high school course, ESLEO.  I have taught this course and designed the course outline for it.  I am looking forward to seeing it from a different angle.  

In the forum, my group facilitated the week 2 discussion on communication and collaboration.  It was nice to share ideas with our classmates.  I think we collaborated well to make sure our forum was active and informative.  Forums are fun, and everyone usually participates well.  This forum was no exception, and many ideas emerged.  

Challenges
Collaboration is sometimes difficult as we all have different (and busy) schedules.  We are beginning to use the C2C co-authored notes, but those are challenging because they do not go to the email inbox where most of us manage our lives. We have used emails as notices to group members, which has worked.   

I am also finding the amount of work challenging.  I did not expect I was going to have to complete so many tasks in a 6-week course.  This course has kept me very involved and active.

I am somewhat frustrated with the requirements of documenting group collaboration.  I had wanted to complete work through email or through my virtual meeting room, but it appears we must document our progress in text-based chat rooms.  That has slowed us down.

In the forums, I am finding it challenging to read some of the longer posts.  I was expecting more web-based answers and less academic writing.

Perhaps the biggest challenge for me so far is navigating the site.  In the first few weeks I found it very confusing to use Blackboard and C2C.  I also struggled to find clear explanations of our tasks and assignments.  Jumping from the two forums has been difficult.  Add in the astralsite, and I am nearly lost.

Learning Progress
I am beginning to learn about new technologies.  In our forum discussion, I picked up some ideas on how to manage online collaboration.  It was also nice to reflect on teenagers Internet use and how that applies to online learning.

Struggling with the multiple forums and sites for this course has taught me a lot of about creating simple, easy to follow online courses.  It has ceratinly showed me that a course should have a maximum of one LMS.  Students should be able to easily follow along with the weekly progress.  It is also important to make instructions on tasks and assignments very clear.

Goals
My goal is to learn about Google Sites and see if it is a viable option for cretaing websites.  I have used Blogger and Wordpress extensively, but I would like to see if this is easier and better.  Hopefully after our website is complete, I will understand the site builder.  

I would also like to be more open to new technology, especially C2C and its features.  I will try to use the chat feature as well as more co-authored notes.  I would like to understand C2C much better, and I believe I will after the second half of the course.    








No comments:

Post a Comment